The Fertilisers And Chemicals Travancore Limited (FACT) was incorporated in the year 1943 as the first large-scale fertilizer plant in India at Udyogamandal, Kochi, Kerala. FACT started production in 1947. Initially in the Private Sector, promoted by M/s.Seshasayee Brothers, FACT became a Public Sector company in 1960 and the Government of India became the major shareholder in 1962. FACT is under the administrative control of the Department of Fertilizers, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Government of India.
From a modest beginning, FACT has expanded and diversified into a multi-divisional organisation with varied activities. The parent division at Udyogamandal underwent four stages of expansion until the year 1972, upgrading technology and increasing capacity. In the 1960’s, recognising the need for developing indigenous capabilities for design and construction of Chemical and Fertiliser Plants, FACT established an Engineering & Consultancy wing FEDO (FACT Engineering & Design Organisation). A Fabrication Division FEW (FACT Engineering Works) was also established in 1966.
Another fertilizer unit,. Cochin Division was established in two phases at Ambalamedu near the BPCL-Kochi Refineries. Phase-I, with the Ammonia-Urea Complex commissioned in 1973 and Phase-II consisting of Sulphuric Acid, Phosphoric Acid and Complex Fertiliser Plant commissioned during 1976-78.
FACT expanded further with the commissioning of the Petrochemical Division at Udyogamandal for production of Caprolactam during 1990-91 and saw FACT diversify into the then sunrise Petrochemical industry.The new Ammonia Plant was set-up at Udyogamandal at a cost of Rs.638 crore and commissioned during March 1998.
The Authorised Share capital of the Company is ₹ 100 crore equity shares of face value of ₹10/- each (₹.1000 crore). The issued and subscribed Share Capital is ₹.647.07 Crore.
It was Sir C.P Ramaswamy Iyer, the then Diwan of Travancore who stood in the forefront, cleared all obstacles and paved the way for setting up of FACT in a till then unheard of village in Kerala, Udyogamandal. FACT was fortunate enough to have had very illustrious persons to lead it during its onward journey.
Shri M.K.K Nair, an outstanding administrator and visionary, led FACT from 1960 to 1971. He was the longest serving MD and it was during his tenure that FACT flourished with setting up of various plants to enhance production, establishment of Engineering consultancy division (FEDO) and fabrication unit (FEW). The work on the establishment of another production unit in Ambalamedu, Cochin Division was also started during this period.
During its onward journey, FACT had its ups and downs and now stands as one of the biggest fertiliser enterprises of the country and an ardent exemplar of the triumph of the public sector.